1. This is Holy Week. What does that mean to you? How have you celebrated or how do you celebrate it?
2. Remembering the “racquetball illustration”, have you ever measured yourself or your ability without an accurate “benchmark”? Please share.
3. Read Leviticus 11:45, Matthew 5:48 and Habakkuk 1:13 then consider the illustrations in your Journey Guide. When did you realize your own “goodness” fell far short of God’s standard for perfection? When did you realize how many black marks were on your “moral scorecard”?
4. Read Romans 3:23. Share how you “overrated your goodness” (past or present) before a Holy God. How have you seen this done by others?
5. Read Romans 6:23. Share how you “underestimated the seriousness of your sin” (past or present) before a Holy God. How have you seen this done by others?
6. Read I Peter 2:24 and 2 Corinthians 5:21. Then discuss John Piper’s quote: If God were not just, there would be no demand for his Son to suffer and die. And if God were not loving, there would be no willingness for his Son to suffer and die. But God is both just and loving. Therefore his love is willing to meet the demands of his justice.
What does the truth of these verses/doctrine do in your heart or mind?
7. Share when you “signed up” or “resigned up” with Jesus.
8. How will your life be different, now that you know these things?
9. Make sure to pray for people you know and love who haven’t recognized their need to be “saved from their sin”.